Remembering September 11th
With the 10 year anniversary of September 11th approaching, we remember this tragic day by honoring heroes and recognizing the lives lost. While this tragedy was felt around the world, it hit especially close to home in Philadelphia. The 2001 Philadelphia Distance Run (now called the Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon) was one of the first events to be held after the tragedy. One hero that we would like to recognize is Bill Fallon. Bill was planning on participating in the 2001 race, but never made it to the start line. This year there will be people running the race in his memory.
Bill Fallon #7147
- 53 years old from Rocky Hill, NJ
- His family was not surprised to hear that every Member of the Port of Authority escaped but him. His military background kicked in and he stayed to help. He called his wife from the 62nd floor (where his office was) and later made calls to her from the 64th floor. He also helped after the 1993 bombing and carried people out.
- Known to his neighbors as a fit marathon runner. Bill came to the sport late, past 40, but dedicated and always completed what he started.
- His race number was retired in 2001 and many of his friends will be running with a special “In Tribute to” bib in our 2011 event.
- Bond broker at Cantor Fitzgerald
- 29 years old from New York City
- She was in the North Tower on 104th floor
- Secret Plans to celebrate her 30th birthday with 100 family/friends