Warm Weather Running Tips
A Message from the Medical Team
The Sports Medicine Team wants you to have a great, safe and healthy race in Nashville this Saturday. Here are a few tips for running in warm weather:
- Stay hydrated. Plan on a little more fluid and drink when you are thirsty
- Take a salt packet at the start and again on the course. Salt will be provided at the water stations at mile 5 on the half and full marathon, and mile 13 on the marathon.
- Favor drinking Gatorade over water. Gatorade will be served at the Water Stations at miles 2.9, 5.3, 8.3, 11.2, 14.3, 17.5, 20.2 and 23.1.
- Pin your race number on your shorts, not your shirt.
SLOW DOWN IF…
- You are not acclimatized to the heat or humidity
- You experience headache, dizziness, muscle cramping, or nausea
- You have any problems staying mentally focused
- Please take advantage of misters on the course and ice towels at the finish line. Stop at a Medical tent on the course if you need anything on race day.
Visit the medical portion of our website for more information or stop by the Rock ‘n’ Roll Sports Medicine booth at the Health & Fitness Expo (under the red balloon) during expo hours. Our Medical Panel of Experts will be on the Clinic Stage at 1:00 pm Friday to discuss the most common running injuries, how to prevent them, and how you can best prepare for the race.
P.Z. Pearce, M.D. – Medical Director
Rock ‘n’ Roll Sports Medicine Team