Stay Cool On Race Day
The Sports Medicine Team wants you to have a great, safe and healthy race. Please fill out the Medical Information on the back of your race bib.
Here are a few tips for running in warm weather:
- Do not push yourself. Run at a comfortable pace and ease up if you feel warm.
- Eat salted foods. Add a salt pack to a cup of water or Gatorade and drink it at the start and another halfway through the race. Salt packets will be available at the start and can be found on course at water station 3, approximately mile 4.5.
- Don’t over drink. Drink when you are thirsty and no more.
- Use spray stations and sponges along the course and at the finish to cool off.
- If you are warm and don’t feel right, stop at a medical station to get checked out.
Check out some more Warm Weather Tips from Dr. Pearce.
- 7 Misting Stations
- An Ice & Sponge Station at approximately mile 10.5
- Cooling buses located at miles 7.4, 9.9, 11.1 and 11.9
- Ice towels, ice sponges and misters will be available at the Finish Secure Zone
- An ice tent in the Finish Village
In the event temperatures rise above a safe degree to run in, tail vehicles will be in place to transport participants to the finish.
- Schedule of Races
- Date: July 21, 2013
- Half Marathon Start Time: 6:30 AM Mini Marathon Start Time: 6:30 AM
First-timer or inspired to qualify for a Seeded Start Corral in the Bank of America Chicago Marathon, this half marathon course is flat, fast and fun. Live bands, cheer squads and themed water stations add inspiration throughout the course.
- Finish Line Festival with music, food & beverages
- Headliner Concert immediately after race at Finish Line