DC: Event Details
Event at a Glance
Thursday & Friday, March 10 & 11, 2016
- Health & Fitness Expo
- Thursday, March 10th: 12:00pm-7:00pm
- Friday, March 11th: 10:00am-7:00pm
Saturday, March 12, 2016
- Marathon & Half Marathon
- Start Line: Constitution Ave at 14th St. NW
- Start Time: 7:30 am
- Rock ‘n’ Roll DC 5k
- Start Line: RFK Stadium Lot 7
- Start Time: 7:30am
- Participant Perks
- Registration Options
- Event Guidelines
- Time: 7:30am
- Marathon & Half Marathon Start Location: Constitution Ave NW just east of 14th St. NW
- Marathon & Half Marathon Gear Check will be open from 6:00 am to 7:20 am and located on Madison Drive NW between 9th St. NW and 12th St. NW. The trucks will be organized by last name.
- 5k Start Location: RFK Stadium Lot 7
- 5k Gear Check will open at 6:30 am on race morning and will be located at RFK Stadium.
- Start Line Map - coming soon!
- Sneaker & Clothing Donation: Health & Fitness Expo and Race Day
clothes-pin (clothes – for people in need) is a Philadelphia-based 501(c)3, non-profit organization who focuses on the collection and distribution of sneakers and clothing for people in need. The Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Marathon & 1/2 Marathon and clothes-pin have partnered to develop unique programs for the race weekend, including the sneakers collection at the 2-day Health & Fitness Expo (all types of used men’s, women’s and children’s shoes welcome), as well as all discarded clothing at the start corrals. All collected apparel will be distributed to local Washington, D.C. shelters. Thanks to the generosity of the running community, clothes-pin has contributed over 200,000 articles of clothing to date. Thank you in advance for your contribution!
Take on a rockin’ 26.2 or 13.1 historic journey through our Nation’s capital at the 4th Annual Rock ‘n’ Roll DC Marathon & 1/2 Marathon presented by CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield on March 14, 2015. Boasting courses with a start line on Constitution Ave. surrounded by the sights of the White House, Smithsonian Libraries and Washington Monument, live bands and cheer squads along the course culminating with a post race finish line concert!
- Start Area Map
- Finish Area Map
- Turn by Turn
- Course Elevations
- Course Support
- Spectator Tips
- Time Limits
- Course Cutoffs
- Road Closures
- Pace Team: The United States Naval Academy Marathon Team will provide the Official Pace Team Leaders for both the Marathon and Half Marathon distance. Sign up at the expo to run with the pace team. Pace Teams are FREE and open to all participants. Pace times offered will be as follows:
- Half Marathon: 1:45, 2:00, 2:15, 2:30, 2:45, 3:00
- Marathon: 3:10, 3:30, 3:40, 3:55, 4:00, 4:10, 4:25, 4:40, 5:00
- Finish Line: RFK Stadium Lot 7
- Getting to the Finish
- Secure Zone
- Family Reunion
- Information Booth | Lost & Found
Runners and spectators are strongly advised to utilize the Metro for all race weekend travel needs. Please note that with convenient Metro stations located close to the expo, start and finish lines, race day shuttles will not be provided. Regardless of how you get the to the Start Village, plan to arrive to the half and marathon start area at least an hour before the 7:30 am start time. Keep in mind 25,000 other runners are trying to get to the same area as you.
PLEASE NOTE: The 5k has a different start line than the Marathon and Half Marathon.The 5k starts at RFK Stadium Lot 7, and the Marathon and Half Marathon both start on Constitution Ave at 14th St. NW.
5K Transportation Information
5k Start Line & Finish Line: RFK Stadium Lot 7**
Please note the 5k Start Line is different from the Marathon & 1/2 Start Line.
**Start Venue opens at 6:30 am for the 5k
We highly recommend the use of Public Transportation to get to the 5k Start Line. The Metro will begin operating at 5:00 am on race morning and runners are advised to purchase a Metro pass in advance. Take the Blue, Orange or Silver Lines to the Stadium/Armory Metro Station.
Parking at RFK Stadium on Race Day is limited. To park at the 5k Start Line/Finish Line you will need to purchase a Parking Pass in advance, see finish line parking passes below.
The Metro will begin operating at 5:00 am on Race Day, March 14th. Runners are advised to purchase their passes in advance for any race day needs. Be sure to monitor delays through the WMATA website.
Here are the most convenient race weekend Metro stops:
- Health & Fitness Expo:
- Green/Yellow Lines: Mt. Vernon Square/7th St/Convention Center station
- Full & Half Marathon Start Village:
- Blue/Orange Lines: Federal Triangle (0.1 miles) or Smithsonian (0.3 miles) stations
- Green/Yellow Lines: Archives (0.4 miles) or L’Enfant Plaza (0.7 miles) stations
- Red Line: Metro Center (0.4 miles) or Gallery Place (0.6 miles) stations
- 5k Start Line: Stadium/Armory station (Blue/Orange Line)
- Finish Line: Stadium/Armory station (Blue/Orange Line)
Trip Planner Tool: Runners can click here: http://www.wmata.com and enter their origin and destination, fill in the date and time and click submit. This will show the trains running before the normal start time of 7am, reflecting the updated 5am Metro opening schedule for race day.
Start Line Parking
We have partnered with Parking Panda, the nationwide leader in online parking reservations, to allow visitors to purchase guaranteed parking at many convenient locations near the start line and along the course.
Once purchased, parking is 100% guaranteed even if the location otherwise fills up. Simply present your purchase confirmation at the selected location, and this serves as your payment with no additional payments or fees ever. Parking availability is very limited, so it is strongly recommended that you purchase your parking for race day in advance.
**NOTE: Be sure to check the hours of operation at your selected location before purchasing to ensure the location is open early enough to allow plenty of time to arrive on event morning.**
Finish Line Parking
Parking at the Finish Line for runners and spectators is limited. Those wishing to park at the Finish Line will need to pre-purchase a Finish Line Parking Pass to park at RFK Stadium. Limited spots are available — buy your pass online or stop by the Health & Fitness Expo to purchase. Be sure to review parking directions located on their main website (RFK Stadium Lot 3 and Lot 8). The email confirmation you receive is your pass into the parking lot.
The finish line parking lots will open at 5:00 am on race day. After parking, runners will need to walk to the Stadium/Armory Metro Station (~0.4 miles) to ride the Metro to the Federal Triangle or Smithsonian Metro Stations, which are closest to the Start Line.
Tip: One-way trip from Armory Metro Station to the start line stations costs $2.75.
**Finish Line parking passes will not be available for purchase on race day. The email confirmation you receive serves as your pass into the parking lot.
Personalize your Bib Number!
You can submit 12 characters (including spaces) to be printed on your bib number when you register online before the event deadline. Simply type your message into the Personalize your Bib field during registration. Beware of using symbols as not all symbols will print correctly on bib numbers.
**Race changes are only allowed up to 8 weeks prior to race day. Please visit our Event Timelines page for event specific deadlines
Switching from a LONGER distance to a SHORTER distance
- Before the event deadline: If you would like to switch from a longer distance to a shorter distance, simply email this request along with your first name, last name, the mailing address that you registered with, and your new predicted finish time to Customer Service.
- After the event deadline: If you decide to switch from a longer distance to a shorter distance, simply show up to the half Marathon start line on race morning and your timing tag will reflect the change. You can visit the corral change table in the Check-In area of the Expo for information on the appropriate corral to start in.
Switching from a SHORTER distance to a LONGER distance
- Before the event deadline: To upgrade from a shorter distance to a longer distance simply email this request along with your first name, last name and mailing address registered with, and your new predicted finish time to Customer Service. The early upgrade fee is $10 plus the cost difference between the desired distance’s current fee and the fee that was paid at the time of the original registration. (processing fee is not used in calculating price difference)
- After the event deadline: If you would like to switch from a shorter distance to a longer distance, you will need to pay an upgrade fee at the Expo. Please pick up your assigned race number and proceed to the “Solutions” table. You will be charged $10 plus the cost difference between the desired distance’s expo fee and the fee that was paid at the time of the original registration. (processing fee is not used in calculating price difference)
Registering is easy! You may register for any Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon in two ways.
- Register Online
- Request an entry form by mail. Please contact us and we will be happy to mail a form to you. All registrations submitted by paper entry form will be charged a $15 Green Fee for processing. We do not accept phone entries.
Please enter only once. If you fax or register online, do not mail a hard copy. Do not send multiple faxes or online entries.
The start line corral system allows for a smooth race start for participants of varying levels. Based on the estimated finish time that you provide on your race entry form, you are assigned a race number and corresponding corral, with other participants of similar running pace.
- Before the event deadline: If you would like to change your corral/predicted finish time for your race, simply email this request along with your first name, last name, the mailing address that you registered with, and your new predicted finish time to Customer Service.
- After the event deadline: If your training has gone better than expected, and you would like to move up to a faster corral, pick up your race number at the Health & Fitness Expo and then proceed to the “Corral Change” table to be re-assigned to the appropriate corral. To move back to a slower corral, simply start in that corral on race morning. No official corral change is necessary.
- Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. No exceptions.
- Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate, you may not give or sell your race number to anyone else, and you may not transfer your entry fee to future races.
- If you attempt to sell your race number, you may be banned from future Competitor Group events for three years.
- You must be at least 18 years old to participate in the Marathon and 12 years old to participate in the Half Marathon or 2-Person Half Marathon Relay. You must be 10 years old to participate in the 10K. You must be 8 years old to participate in the Mini Marathon or 5K.
- You must be in good health and physically prepared to take on the challenge of a Marathon or Half Marathon.
- You must show photo ID to receive your race number and timing chip.
- You must pick up your own race packet and race number at the Health & Fitness Expo.
- Race numbers are required to participate.
- No coaches, handcycles, bikes, in-line skates, skateboards, baby joggers or dogs will be allowed on the course. For more information about handcycles, click here.
- Overall winners will not qualify for their age group category awards.
Registration Refund Program provided by Transamerica
Great News!!! With Registration Refund you can request a 100% registration fee refund if you are unable to participate due to a specific covered reason. If you choose the Registration Refund option at time of registration, you could receive a registration fee refund if you are unable to participate due to any of the following reasons.
Bad things like:
Injury, unforeseen Illness, family member injury or illness, family member loss of life, involuntary job loss, unexpected covered travel delays.
Good things like:
Pregnancy, childbirth, family member pregnancy or childbirth.
Other reasons including:
Active duty military deployment, permanent job relocation.
Note: A Qualified Medical Practitioner must certify Illness, Injury or pregnancy refund requests.
**Purchase of registration refund MUST be done at the time of your original registration, no exceptions.
If a registration refund is not purchased at the time of registration, entry fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and entries are NON-TRANSFERABLE. Sorry, no exceptions. Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate. You may not give or sell your number to anyone else. You also may not transfer your application to the following year or another Competitor Group event.
To ensure that roads reopen to vehicular traffic at the scheduled times, the course time limits will be STRICTLY ENFORCED. Participants must maintain a pace faster than the course time limits in order to complete the race on closed city streets. A cut-off location will be enforced on the course; runners or walkers who do not reach the cut-off location by this time will be stopped and shuttled to the finish line area. Please note – this is timing tag time, not gun time. Course time limits begin when the last participant and Tail Vehicle cross the start line.
If a participant’s pace falls below the course time limit, they have a few options:
- Increase their pace to stay within the event minimum pace;
- Board a “sag wagon” shuttle to move forward on the course, where they may continue to participate in the event, maintaining the minimum pace required; or
- If the participant cannot continue, they may board a sag wagon to be dropped off at the next shuttle location, at a nearby medical station. The participant will be seen by a Medical Team captain to be cleared for the medical shuttle to transport the participant to the finish line.
Information Booths will be positioned at the start and finish to assist you with any race day questions and help you find your way. The Information Booths will also serve as the race day Lost & Found. Any valuables found at the start or finish should be turned in to the Information Booth. Items from the start will be transported to the finish.
Any valuable items NOT claimed at the finish by 3 pm will be trucked back to our San Diego office. To claim a lost item after the event, please contact Competitor Group at 800-311-1255.
The Medical Team is a dedicated group of multidisciplinary medical professionals, available to help assess your race day medical needs and administer acute first aid when necessary.
Numerous medical stations will be located at the Finish as well as at the start and along the course. Look for large RED and WHITE tents and for our medical volunteers dressed in RED shirts for complimentary help before, during and after the race.
Age group awards will be presented 3-deep in all divisions, for both the marathon (where applicable) and half marathon, for male and female categories. Top 3 overall male and females are excluded from the age-group awards and can only receive one prize. Awards will be mailed within 4 to 6 weeks of results being finalized. In accordance with USATF Rules, overall and cash awards will be determined by gun time while age group awards will be determined by your ChronoTrack time.
State of the art ChronoTrack systems will be used to record participants’ times at the start, at certain splits along the courses and at the finish. The ChronoTrack system uses a disposable tag, called a D Tag, which allows you to walk away from the finish without the need to have your tag collected.
The ChronoTrack timing tag (D Tag) will be attached to your race bib. The D Tag will be labeled with a number that matches your race number. When you pick up your bib, please make sure these numbers match, and also verify that YOUR name is printed on the bib you are issued*. Proceed to the Solutions Table if any of the information is incorrect.
Prior to the race, you must remove the tag from your number and attach it to your shoe. Please follow the instructions provided in your registration packet.
PLEASE NOTE: All participants in this race must wear the ChronoTrack timing tag on your shoe in order to have their times recorded. ChampionChip timing equipment will NOT be used at this race; ChampionChip timing chips will NOT record your time.
*If you register for the race before online registration closes, your ChronoTrack timing tag should have your name printed on it.
Visit chronotrack.com for more information.
Printable ChronoTrack systems instructions
- Scenic course highlighting host cities famous sites
- Live, local bands along the course
- Spirited cheer squads lining the course
- Brooks Technical Participant Shirt
- Official Finisher Certificates
- Finishers Medal
- Gear Bag
- Plentiful Course Support
- Free Admission to the Finish Line Festival and Post Race Concert (where applicable)
- Free Admission to the 2 day Health & Fitness Expo
In an effort to provide every one of our participants with as comfortable a run as possible, the Wave Start will be incorporated in most Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series events.
Participants are assigned to an appropriate corral based on the projected finishing time submitted on their entry form. Typically, there are multiple waves assigned to several of the finishing times. All spectators should be aware of this when organizing their viewing schedule for the day.
- When the gun fires, the first corral will be released. The rest of the participants will be held at the start line.
- At pre-determined intervals the next corral will be released.
- By using this staggered starting method, the pack will be spread out and allow every runner to settle into their racing rhythm from the first step right to the finish line.
Before you enter your assigned corral, drop-off your pre-race/post-race clothing and belongings at the Gear Check. While you run, your gear will be held at Gear Check.
Each participant will receive a large, durable gear bag at the Health & Fitness Expo when you pick up your packet that will serve as your gear bag on race day. Gear Check trucks will be arranged alphabetically and by truck number near the Start Line. Attach your gear tag to your gear bag before you leave it with the Gear Check crew. After the race, reclaim your checked bag at the designated Gear Check area.
Please note: DO NOT leave valuables, cash or jewelry in your gear bag. The event is not responsible for any lost items. Gear bags must be claimed before close of the Finish Line Festival on race day.
Once you cross the finish line, you’ll enter the Secure Zone, a fenced off area designated for participants only. In the Secure Zone, have your photo taken, refuel with water and refreshments and receive your finisher’s medal. Once you leave the Secure Zone, you cannot re-enter. Just outside of the Secure Zone, you can retrieve your gear bag and join family and friends for the Finish Line Festival.
After the race, reunite with family and friends in the Family Reunion area and relish in your post race accomplishment with refreshments and live music at the finish line stage. With a large number of participants and thousands of excited spectators, it can be difficult to locate friends and family without a plan. It is highly recommended that you designate a meet-up location for friends and family BEFORE the race in the Family Reunion area. The Family Reunion area will post tall, clearly-marked signs by Letter (A – Z), so be sure to coordinate and plan to meet at a pre-determined letter.