Providence: Road Closures
Information about road closures and metering points for the 2013 Rock ‘n’ Roll Providence Half Marathon is now available. Additional information will be posted as available.
- The Rock ‘n’ Roll Providence Half Marathon will bring more than 7,000 runners and walkers to Providence, plus tens of thousands of spectators, family and friends.
- To get the most out of your weekend and minimize stress, be aware of the road closures in your area and plan ahead for an alternate route or added travel time.
- Join the festivities! Providence residents are encouraged to visit the free Health & Fitness Expo at the Rhode Island Convention Center, volunteer during race weekend and/or line the course to cheer runners.
*Requires free Adobe Reader to view and print
Be Aware. Plan Ahead.
Please review the road closure grid and course map for more information. Residents and businesses located near the course are urged to plan ahead and be aware of road closure schedules and alternate access routes when planning race day travel.
Most road closures and detours will be in effect between 6:00 am and 12:00 Noon. Prior to the event, police and event personnel will implement a soft closure along the entire race course. The race begins at 7:00 am. Streets will reopen on a rolling basis as soon as the last participant has passed and all course support materials have been removed.
Interactive Road Closure Map
This map outlines the road closures, highlights alternate routes and provides access information for popular destinations which will be affected by road closures during the race. Google Maps does NOT take into account the road closures on race day. To request assistance with alternate directions please contact the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series community relations team by completing the community contact form.
Cross-traffic will be metered across the route at the following locations, at the discretion of traffic controllers. During the race there may be periods of times when the runner pack is especially tight and vehicle traffic may not be able to cross the course immediately. See a full list of metering points here.
- To exit the area within the race route:
- Use eastbound Waterman Street to get across the Henderson (Red) Bridge all morning.
- After 9:00 am, use northbound Main Street to Branch Avenue to reach I-95 and leave the area.
- To enter the area within the race route:
- From 6:00 am to 11:15 am, approach from East Providence and go west across the Henderson (Red) Bridge to S. Angell St.
- After 9:00 am, Benefit and N. Main Streets will reopen and allow access from the west side of the race route.
- To reach Miriam Hospital: To reach the Hospital from within the race route, go north on Hope Street, west on Rochambeau, then north on Summit Avenue. Vehicles will be metered across Memorial Road on Summit to proceed to the hospital campus.
Streets along the race course will be marked with No Parking signs. Vehicles in violation of these posted signs will be ticketed and towed at the owners’ expense. View a complete list of No Parking zones here.
Rhode Island Public Transit Authority Detours
Several RIPTA bus routes will be detoured on Sunday September 29. For more details, visit http://www.ripta.com/ or contact the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority office at 401-781-9400.
For More Information
If your question is not answered on this website, please complete this community contact form so we may better assist you.