San Antonio: Bike Tour
For the fourth year, the Rock ‘n’ Roll San Antonio Marathon & ½ Marathon will offer a bike tour as part of event weekend. The non-timed Rock ‘n’ Roll Bike Tour will cover approximately 25 miles of the marathon course and take place prior to the full and half marathon race. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to tour San Antonio before the big race!
|By the Numbers:
Registrants: Limited to 1,000
Bike Tour Fees*
$65 (through 6/30/14)
$70 (7/1/14 – 8/31/14)
$75 (9/1/14 – 12/1/14)
- $90 (at Expo, if available)
- *Registration fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. Fees listed above do not include the Active Network processing fee. There is NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION.
- If you have registered for the full or half marathon and now want to participate in the bike tour, you will have to register for the bike tour separately. You will not receive a refund for the full/half marathon.
- Registration is only available online, and closes Sunday, November 30, 2014 11:59 pm PST) or earlier upon sell out.
- **Important note: State law requires your photo ID to be checked on race day, even if you’re 99! Plan ahead and have your photo ID with you. Also, per Texas law, the beer garden will not open until 10:00am.
Race Day Schedule:
- 6:45 am – Bike Tour Start
- 7:25 am – Wheelchair Start
- 7:30 am – Marathon, half marathon, mini marathon & relay (Leg 1) Start
- The age minimum for the Rock ‘n’ Roll Bike Tour is 12 years old.
- Bike tour is non-timed and non-competitive: Top speed limited to 20 MPG (3 minute miles).
- Minimum speed is 10 MPG (6 minute miles)
- On course technical support
- No fixed-gear bikes (brakes required)
- Single-rider bikes only
- No trailers, tandems, tricycles or training wheels
- Helmets required
- Self supported ride – bring your own water bottle and snacks (no sag stops). Refreshments will be provided at finish line.
- Post-race bike check will be made available at finish line
- Registrants may only participate in ONE Rock ‘n’ Roll San Antonio event on race day.
- GEAR CHECK WILL NOT BE PROVIDED TO BIKE TOUR PARTICIPANTS. Instead, Bike Tour participants are encouraged to carry their own gear bags with them during their ride.
Welcome to the Rock ‘n’ Roll San Antonio Bike Tour! Please read these ride rules and recommendations very carefully for a safe and enjoyable event.
Please remember that this event is a non-timed, non-scored fun fitness ride on the marathon run course. Please be extra careful and considerate of your fellow riders.
- All Entrants must line up at the start line area. Entrants may not start in front of this area or “jump into” the ride along the course.
- All Entrants must properly enter the Start lineup, and may not cut in line, climb over barricades, or in any other way improperly enter the Start area;
- All Entrants must wear an approved helmet (CPSC certified);
- All Entrants must obey Police, Bike Patrol or other Event Officials including not passing the lead police or official lead cyclists.
- No Entrant may ride with, or receive support from, unregistered cyclists (bandits);
- No entrant may utilize a motorized or power-assisted bicycle nor may a bicycle have such devices attached. All bicycles must be powered solely by human force.
- All Entrants should cycle the complete official route, as described on the official route map, unless they are forced to leave the course due to mechanical issues or because they have fallen behind the official timeline. All Entrants must stay behind, and not pass, the lead vehicle;
- All Entrants must wear their rider numbers, which must be easily visible;
- Headsets covering or blocking both ears are prohibited, i.e., no iPods or other MP3 players or headphones/earbuds;
- Aero-type and other similar auxiliary handlebars are prohibited; this includes “tri-bikes” with otherwise unremovable aerobars.
- All Entrants must start the Event before the last official vehicle (trail vehicle) has left the start line. Because the runners are starting behind you, no late cyclists will be allowed on the course.
- Cyclists should bring their own filled water bottles and any snacks or food. Due to the relatively short distance of the ride and the time schedule for the morning, there are no “SAG” stops or rest stops providing fluids or food. Note that you will ride by water stations but these are set up for the runners who will be right behind the cyclists.
- Team tactics that endanger, or impede the progress of, any other cyclists, such as blocking, are prohibited;
- All Entrants must show courteous behavior to Volunteers, Event Officials, and Police, and obey their instructions;
- All Entrants must obey traffic control officers & personnel, and traffic control devices & signs, unless otherwise directed by an Official;
- Do not cross through any cone lines. Some sections of the route are two-way cyclist traffic or will have runners on one side of the road and cyclists on the others. Think safety first and stay in your correct lane at all times.
- Medical stations will be staffed along the course and at the finish line for basic first aid. Look for the red tents.
- Restrooms are located throughout the bike tour course; look for these near the band sites, runner water stations, and medical stations.
- All Entrants must read and know State bicycle laws, and must yield to emergency vehicles at all times, even if the road is closed;
- All Entrants must ride the entire event on the bicycle they start on – changing bicycles is prohibited;
- Be Predictable—Smooth, consistent riding is the key to ensuring everyone riding around you feels comfortable and that you are not a hazard to yourself or anyone else
- All Entrants must verbally warn others when they overtake them – call out “Passing”, “your left”’, or “on your Left” (the simpler, the better);
- Do NOT Overlap Wheels—Be cognizant of those around you and pay attention to the position of your front wheel vs. their back wheel
- If the rider cannot maintain a 10mph pace, they will be asked to leave the course and make their way back to the finish village following all of the rules of the road;
- Rule Enforcement & Procedures: 1) Police, Event Officials, and Bike Patrol will identify any Entrant who violates traffic laws or Event rules for possible disciplinary action
- Signal—Signal with your hands and/or voice so that everyone knows your intentions
- Entrants are solely responsible for all their items of personal belongings. We cannot be responsible for any items of personal belongings whatsoever, whether lost, stolen, placed in our care, or misplaced.
- Tandem Bikes, child trailers, training wheels, child seats, child bike extensions, or animals are prohibited. This is for safety of all riders and runners.
- Headlights and flashing tail lights are highly recommended. The ride begins a few minutes before sunrise.
- Bike Light Ordinance: The City of San Antonio has adopted a Bike Light Ordinance. This ordinance is the same as State of Texas law requirements which require a front white light, and rear red reflector or red rear light. Not complying with the ordinance is a Class C Misdemeanor punishable up to $200 fine.
- The ride will happen rain or shine.
- Limited mechanical assistance will be provided before the race, on course, and at the finish line. Participants are highly encouraged to make sure their bike is tuned up with fresh tires and tubes. Please bring extra tubes, a patch kit, and a pump or CO2 inflation device with you during the ride.
- Unauthorized/unregistered riders are legally not covered by the event.
Rock ‘n’ Roll Bike Tour Packet Pick-Up
- Participants must attend the Health & Fitness Expo to pick up their race number, Official Participant T-shirt and gear bag.
- You are not allowed to pickup for anyone else.
- Photo IDs and Confirmation Sheet are required.
- Race day packet pick-up is NOT available
Bike Tour Parking
BIKE TOUR PARTICIPANTS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO PARK AT THE AT&T CENTER with the rest of the marathon & ½ marathon participants. Shuttles to/from the AT&T center are NOT equipped to handle bicycles.
With heavy traffic on race day, carpooling is highly encouraged!