San Diego: Road Closures
Information on road closures during the 2014 Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon & ½ Marathon to Benefit The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is now available. Information provided on this page is subject to change.
- Course Map*
- Alternate Access Information (Corresponds with downloadable map)*
- Road Closure Grid*
- Freeway and Ramp Closure Grid*
- Event Information*
*Requires free Adobe Reader to view and print
Be Aware. Plan Ahead.
Drivers are encouraged to adjust travel time within and around the race course.
- The Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Marathon & ½ Marathon will bring more than 30,000 runners and walkers to San Diego, in addition to tens of thousands of spectators, family and friends.
- To get the most out of your weekend and minimize stress, be aware of the road closures in your area and plan ahead for an alternate route or added travel time.
- Join the festivities! San Diego residents are encouraged to visit the free Health & Fitness Expo at the San Diego Convention Center, volunteer during race weekend and/or line the course to cheer runners.
Most road closures and detours will be in effect between the hours of 5:00 am and 2:00 pm. At 5:00 am, Police and event personnel will implement a soft closure along the entire race course. The marathon begins at 6:15 am, and the half marathon begins at 6:45 am. At most points along the course, pedestrians and bicyclists may cross the course during safe gaps in runners. Please follow the discretion of a traffic controller if present. Streets will reopen on a rolling basis as soon as the last participant has passed and all course support materials have been removed. Please review the road closure grid and course map for more information. Residents and businesses located near the race course are urged to plan ahead and to be aware of road closure schedules and alternate access routes.
Freeway and Ramp Closure Information
Freeway and ramp closures may impact your travel on race day. Please note, southbound SR-163 will remain OPEN. View the freeway and ramp closure PDF here. Please note, these closures and times are subject to change.
Detailed Community Access Maps and Information
Download a map and details about road closures and community access specific to your neighborhood!
- Old Town, Middletown*
- Downtown, Little Italy, East Village*
- Morena, Bay Ho, Clairemont*
- Friar’s Road, Linda Vista*
*Requires free Adobe Reader to view and print
Interactive Road Closure Map
This map outlines the road closures, highlights alternate routes and provides access information for popular destinations which will be affected by road closures during the race. At most points along the course, pedestrians and bicyclists may cross the course during safe gaps in runners. Please follow the discretion of a traffic controller if present. Google Maps does NOT take into account the road closures on race day. To request assistance with alternate directions please contact the Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon community relations team by completing the community contact form
MTS Bus & Trolley Detours
On Sunday, June 1, several MTS bus routes will be on detour. A list of impacted routes will be posted shortly. For more details visit www.sdmts.com or to speak to a Customer Service Representative, please call 511 or (619) 557-4555.
San Diego Trolley service will be impacted on the Blue and Orange lines between the City College Station and the Fifth Avenue Station from 6:00 – 9:30 am. For more details visit www.sdmts.com or to speak to a Customer Service Representative call 511 or (619) 595-4949.
Streets along the race course will be marked with No Parking signs approximately 72 hours before the event. Vehicles in violation of posted No Parking signs will be ticketed and towed at the owners’ expense. A full list of No Parking zones and times can be viewed here.
Access to Popular Destinations
San Diego Airport:
- Inbound from I-5 North: Exit to Washington St. Continue on India. Turn left onto Vine St. Turn left on Kettner Blvd. Turn right onto Laurel. Continue to the airport as normal.
- Inbound from I-5 South:Travel to airport from I-5 south as usual, following Airport directional signs.
- Outbound to I-5 South: Travel eastbound on Harbor Dr. Turn left onto Laurel. Turn left on Pacific Hwy. Turn right on Palm. Turn right on Kettner to enter I-5 south on-ramp.
- Outbound to I-5 North: Travel eastbound on Harbor Dr. Turn left onto Laurel. Turn left on Pacific Coast Highway. Turn right on Washington. Turn left on India to enter I-5 north on-ramp.
Zoo/Balboa Park Institutions/Morley Field Facilities:
- From SR-163 South (after 7:45 am) – Exit to Park and turn left.
- From I-5 North (after 9am) – Exit towards 6th Avenue. Turn left onto 6th. Turn left on A Street. Turn left on Park Blvd.
- From I-5 South (after 7:45 am): Exit towards 10th Ave. Turn left on A Street. Turn left on Park Blvd.
For More Information
If your question is not answered on this website, please complete this community contact form so we may better assist you.