San Francisco: Event Details
EVENT AT A GLANCE
Health & Fitness Expo: April 4-5
HALF MARATHON–April 6
- Location: Great Highway & Fulton St.
- Time: 6:30 am
- Early Start: We will host an early start at 6:15 am exclusive to participants with a projected finish time of 3:30 or greater
- Location: Civic Center Plaza
There have been minor edits to the course since the Course Tour video was created. After checking out the updated course map, feel free to reach out to us on Facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Course Cut-off and Diversion:
- Participants must be at the Golden Gate Bridge entrance (mile 4). If cut-off, they will be diverted to mile 7.9.
- At mile 6 (north side of Golden Gate Bridge) participants will be diverted to the east pedestrian path of the Bridge.
RACE DAY PARKING, TRANSPORTATION & DIRECTIONS
Secure race day parking near Civic Center Plaza by purchasing through GottaPark, HERE. Make sure you enter the correct date and time frame prior to making your purchase.
GETTING TO THE START LINE
There is NO parking at the Start Line. Please plan to use the following options to get to the Start Line.
Complimentary shuttles will take participants to the Start Line. You can catch a shuttle from the following pickup locations:
CIVIC CENTER PLAZA
Complimentary pre-race shuttles are provided to all participants to the Start Line (Great Highway) from the Finish Line (Civic Center Plaza). Pre-race shuttles will stage and leave from Civic Center Plaza (Grove St & Polk St.). Please refer to the map on the last page.
CIVIC CENTER PLAZA SHUTTLE TIMES
Shuttles will run continuously starting at 4:30 am.
The LAST shuttle will leave at 5:45 am in order to make the 6:30 am race start time.
Ride time from Civic Center to the Start Line is 30 minutes.
FISHERMAN’S WHARF (2620 Jones St.)
Pre-race shuttles will stage and leave from Fisherman’s Wharf (Jones St, between North Point St. & Bay St.). Please refer to the map on the last page.
FISHERMAN’S WHARF SHUTTLE TIMES
You MUST reserve your shuttle time at the Health & Fitness Expo if you plan on riding from Fisherman’s Wharf. Stop by the “Shuttles” Booth to pick up your bib sticker for the shuttle you would like to take. A limited number of riders will be allowed for each time slot. Ride time from Fisherman’s Wharf to the start line is approximately 40-50 minutes.
THERE IS NO SHUTTLE TRANSPORTATION FROM THE FINISH LINE TO FISHERMAN’S WHARF AFTER THE RACE.
GET DROPPED OFF AT THE START–Fulton St. & 48th Ave.
Directions from East Bay
Take I-80 W to the US-101 N, continue onto Central Fwy. Continue onto Octavia Blvd, left onto Fell St., right onto Stanyan St. then left onto Fulton St.
Directions from South Bay
Take I-280 N to CA-1 N. Slight left onto Crossover Dr, continue onto 25th Ave, left onto Cabrillo St, left onto 26th St, right onto Fulton St.
Directions from North Bay
Take US-101 S to the CA 1 exit toward 19th Ave. Merge onto Veterans Blvd, continue onto Park Presidio Blvd, right onto Fulton St.
Plan your trip with the San Francisco Trip Planner (http://www.511.org/). Runners traveling from the East Bay or the South Bay, please note that BART does not run in the very early morning hours on Race Day. There will be no BART service until 8:00am.
AC Transit operates service between San Francisco and the East Bay along the Richmond and Fremont BART lines.
The SFMTA (http://www.sfmta.com/) N-OWL line has service to the Judah/La Playa/Ocean Beach station (0.7 miles from Start)
GETTING TO CIVIC CENTER PLAZA
Reserved Parking is available for sale online. Parking garages are within walking distance of Civic Center Plaza and prices vary. Participants need to walk from their parking garage to Civic Center Plaza to catch the shuttles to the Start Line.
GETTING DROPPED OFF AT CIVIC CENTER PLAZA
DROP OFF LOCATION: Hayes St. & Polk St.
Directions from East Bay
Take I-80 W, take the exit to Civic Center. Slight left onto Harrison St, 2nd right onto 9th St, slight left onto Hayes St.
Directions from South Bay
Take I-280 N to US-101 N. Take 9th ST. exit towards Civic Center. Turn left onto 9th St, then slight left onto Hayes St.
Directions from North Bay
Take US-101 S. Slight left onto Lombard St, right onto Van Ness Ave, left onto Grove St, right onto Polk St.
Runners traveling from the East Bay or the South Bay, please note that BART does not run in the very early morning hours on Race Day. There will be no BART service on Sunday until 8:00am.
All public transit systems will be running as regularly scheduled on Race Day. Plan your trip with the San Francisco Trip Planner (http://www.511.org/).
We encourage all runners to drive or carpool to Civic Center Plaza, have a friend or family member drop them off, or taxi in to make it to the start on time.
RIDE YOUR BIKE
We have teamed up with the San Francisco Bike Coalition to host a complimentary race day bike valet at Civic Center Plaza. Avoid traffic and road closures and help us reduce our carbon footprint!
We’re teaming up with Uber so you can ride with ease to and from the event.
Uber is an app that allows you to request a ride with the tap of a button. Drivers arrive curbside in just minutes. You can track the arrival of your ride on your iPhone, Android or Blackberry and payment is charged directly to your credit card on file.
To get $20 off your first Uber ride, sign up at uber.com/GO/SFROCKSUBER, or download the app, and enter the promo code SFROCKSUBER.
Not sure how to Uber? It’s easy!
iPhone, Android or Blackberry:
- Download the app
- Select your pick up location
- Request a ride
Questions? Contact UBER here!
How to Register
Registering is easy! You may register for any Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon in two ways.
- Register Online
- Request an entry form by mail. Please contact us and we will be happy to mail a form to you. All registrations submitted by paper entry form will be charged a $15 Green Fee for processing. We do not accept phone entries.
Please enter only once. If you fax or register online, do not mail a hard copy. Do not send multiple faxes or online entries.
The start line corral system allows for a smooth race start for participants of varying levels. Based on the estimated finish time that you provide on your race entry form, you are assigned a race number and corresponding corral, with other participants of similar running pace.
- Before the event deadline: If you would like to change your corral/predicted finish time for your race, simply email this request along with your first name, last name, the mailing address that you registered with, and your new predicted finish time to Customer Service.
- After the event deadline: If your training has gone better than expected, and you would like to move up to a faster corral, pick up your race number at the Health & Fitness Expo and then proceed to the “Corral Change” table to be re-assigned to the appropriate corral. To move back to a slower corral, simply start in that corral on race morning. No official corral change is necessary.
- Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. No exceptions.
- Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate, you may not give or sell your race number to anyone else, and you may not transfer your entry fee to future races.
- If you attempt to sell your race number, you may be banned from future Competitor Group events for three years.
- You must be at least 12 years old to participate in the Half Marathon.
- You must be in good health and physically prepared to take on the challenge of a Half Marathon.
- You must show photo ID to receive your race number and timing chip.
- You must pick up your own race packet and race number at the Health & Fitness Expo.
- Race numbers are required to participate.
- No coaches, handcycles, bikes, in-line skates, skateboards, baby joggers or dogs will be allowed on the course. For more information about handcycles, click here.
Entry fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and entries are NON-TRANSFERABLE. Sorry, no exceptions. Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate. You may not give or sell your number to anyone else. You also may not transfer your application to the following year or another Competitor Group event.
If you registered and are unable to participate in the race, we will be happy to mail your participant T-shirt to you. Please fill out and submit the Cancellation/T-shirt Request Form. T-shirt Request Forms will be accepted up to 30 days after the event. Participant T-shirts will be mailed approximately 4-6 weeks after the event.
To ensure that roads reopen to vehicular traffic at the scheduled times, the course time limits will be STRICTLY ENFORCED. Participants must maintain a pace faster than the course time limits in order to complete the race on closed city streets. A cut-off location will be enforced on the course; runners or walkers who do not reach the cut-off location by this time will be stopped and shuttled to the finish line area. Please note – this is timing tag time, not gun time. Course time limits begin when the last participant and Tail Vehicle cross the start line. The course time limit for San Francisco is 3 hours and 30 minutes.
If a participant’s pace falls below the course time limit, they have a few options:
- Increase their pace to stay within the event minimum pace;
- Board a “sag wagon” shuttle to move forward on the course, where they may continue to participate in the event, maintaining the minimum pace required; or
- If the participant cannot continue, they may board a sag wagon to be dropped off at the next shuttle location, at a nearby medical station. The participant will be seen by a Medical Team captain to be cleared for the medical shuttle to transport the participant to the finish line.
Information Booths will be positioned at the start and finish to assist you with any race day questions and help you find your way. The Information Booths will also serve as the race day Lost & Found. Any valuables found at the start or finish should be turned in to the Information Booth. Items from the start will be transported to the finish.
Any valuable items NOT claimed at the finish by 3 pm will be trucked back to our San Diego office. To claim a lost item after the event, please contact Competitor Group at 800-311-1255.
The Medical Team is a dedicated group of multidisciplinary medical professionals, available to help assess your race day medical needs and administer acute first aid when necessary.
Numerous medical stations will be located at the Finish as well as at the start and along the course. Look for large RED and WHITE tents and for our medical volunteers dressed in RED shirts for complimentary help before, during and after the race.
Age group awards will be presented 3-deep in all divisions, for both the half marathon, for male and female categories. Awards will be mailed within 4 to 6 weeks of results being finalized. In accordance with USATF Rules, overall and cash awards will be determined by gun time while age group awards will be determined by your ChronoTrack time.
State of the art ChronoTrack systems will be used to record participants’ times at the start, at certain splits along the courses and at the finish. The ChronoTrack system uses a disposable tag, called a D Tag, which allows you to walk away from the finish without the need to have your tag collected.
The ChronoTrack timing tag (D Tag) will be attached to your race bib. The D Tag will be labeled with a number that matches your race number. When you pick up your bib, please make sure these numbers match, and also verify that YOUR name is printed on the bib you are issued*. Proceed to the Solutions Table if any of the information is incorrect.
Prior to the race, you must remove the tag from your number and attach it to your shoe. Please follow the instructions provided in your registration packet.
PLEASE NOTE: All participants in this race must wear the ChronoTrack timing tag on your shoe in order to have their times recorded. ChampionChip timing equipment will NOT be used at this race; ChampionChip timing chips will NOT record your time.
*If you register for the race before online registration closes, your ChronoTrack timing tag should have your name printed on it.
Visit chronotrack.com for more information.
Printable ChronoTrack systems instructions
- Scenic course highlighting host cities famous sites
- Live, local bands along the course
- Spirited cheer squads lining the course
- Brooks Technical Participant Shirt
- Finishers Medal
- Swag Bag
- Plentiful Course Support
- Free Admission to the Finish Line Festival and Post Race Concert (where applicable)
- Free Admission to the 2 day Health & Fitness Expo
- Downloadable Finisher Certificates
In an effort to provide every one of our participants with as comfortable a run as possible, the Wave Start will be incorporated in most Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series events.
Participants are assigned to an appropriate corral based on the projected finishing time submitted on their entry form. Typically, there are multiple waves assigned to several of the finishing times. All spectators should be aware of this when organizing their viewing schedule for the day.
- When the gun fires, the first corral will be released. The rest of the participants will be held at the start line.
- At pre-determined intervals the next corral will be released.
- By using this staggered starting method, the pack will be spread out and allow every runner to settle into their racing rhythm from the first step right to the finish line.
Before you enter your assigned corral, drop-off your pre-race/post-race clothing and belongings at the Gear Check. While you run, your gear will be held at Gear Check.
Each participant will receive a large, durable swag bag at the Health & Fitness Expo when you pick up your packet that will serve as your gear bag on race day. Gear Check trucks will be arranged alphabetically and by truck number near the Start Line. Attach your gear tag to your gear bag before you leave it with the Gear Check crew. After the race, reclaim your checked bag at the designated Gear Check area.
Please note: DO NOT leave valuables, cash or jewelry in your gear bag. The event is not responsible for any lost items. Gear bags must be claimed before close of the Finish Line Festival on race day.
Once you cross the finish line, you’ll enter the Secure Zone, a fenced off area designated for participants only. In the Secure Zone, have your photo taken, refuel with water and refreshments and receive your finisher’s medal. Once you leave the Secure Zone, you cannot re-enter. Just outside of the Secure Zone, you can retrieve your gear bag and join family and friends for the Finish Line Festival.
After the race, reunite with family and friends in the Family Reunion Area located in Civic Center Plaza.