Savannah: Event Details
Saturday, November 8, 2014 Distance: Marathon, 1/2 Marathon, 2 Person Half Marathon Relay Start Time: 7:00 am Start Line: Bay Street & Bull Street Finish Line: Forsyth Park Sunday, November 9, 2014 Distance: 5k & 1 mile 5k Start Time: 1:00 pm 1 Mile Start Time: 2:30 pm Start/Finish Line: Daffin Park
- Time/ Location: 7:00 am at Bay Street & Bull Street
- Getting to the Start
- Wave Start
- Gear Check
- Clothing Pickup: All discarded clothing will be donated to local homeless shelters.
Runners will once again start downtown at historic City Hall, pass by three of the city’s iconic downtown squares, tour through the stunning homes of Gordonston, the southern charm of West Savannah before an exciting finish alongside Forsyth Park. Marathoners will enjoy a tour of the Savannah State University campus and Daffin Park, running past William Grayson Stadium. 2013 Course Information:
- Interactive Course Map
- Course Map PDF
- Course Support
- Course Time Limits
- Road Closures
- Run With the Pace Team – Fleet Feet Savannah
- Turn by Turn Directions
- Location – Forsyth Park
- Getting to the Finish
- Secure Zone
- Finish Line Festival – After the race, reunite with family and friends in the Family Reunion area and relish in your post race accomplishment with refreshments and live music at the finish line stage.
- Family Reunion
- Information Booth | Lost & Found
There are multiple ways to access the convention center. You can drive to the convention center and follow the instructions of the police and parking staff. You may also walk from your downtown hotel to river street and take a ferry. If the wait for the ferry is long, Old Town Trolley shuttles will be provided to drive you to the convention center. Please stay tuned to social media for updated information. Facebook Page
Saturday Race Day Parking Options:
Free Parking! Free Parking – Limited FREE parking is available for runners only (first come, first serve) at the Savannah International Trade & Convention Center. All cars must be parked by 6:00am on Saturday morning. We encourage runners to carpool with their running buddies and take the tugboat from the Convention Center to the start line. You can then take the ferry post event to return to your vehicle
- Race numbers will be required to board the ferry to the start line
- This parking option is free, but you must reserve a parking space (credit card required)
- Parking pass must be picked up at the Health & Fitness Expo on November 6th and 7th
- Must reserve online (until 11/3) or at the expo (depending on availability)
- Limited to the first 1,000 people
- Can only reserve 1 spot
- No trailers, campers, or overnight parking
Downtown Parking Downtown Parking – Runners may pre-purchase a parking pass to one of the four garages in the Historic Downtown area.
- Limited passes will be pre-sold for $10 through Tuesday, November 5th or until sell out.
- All parking passes will be available for pick-up at the Health & Fitness Expo on November 6th and 7th . Garage assignments and directions will be given at the time of pickup.
- Vehicles must be parked by 5:30 am on race morning, Saturday. Plan for traffic delays – it will be very important to use the route outlined on the parking pass.
Saturday Participant & Spectator Shuttles Options:
Participants and spectators staying on Tybee Island and at Airport Hotels are encouraged to take the race day shuttles. All shuttle tickets must be purchased prior to race morning online (until 11/2) or at the Expo (if still available). Tickets must be picked up at the Expo. There will also be on-site ticket sales at the finish line loading areas for post event return service.
- Shuttle service is for runners and spectators
- Shuttle pick up will be at each location at 5:00 am & 5:30 am
- Roundtrip shuttle service will be running from Tybee Island and Airport Hotels
- Shuttle pick up locations are pay-to-park areas, so please plan to walk to the shuttle pick up locations
- Post event: Shuttles will be departing from the finish line continuously throughout the day to Airport and Tybee Island areas.
- There will be on-site ticket sales at the finish line loading area.
Tybee Island Shuttles Tybee Island Shuttles will be picking up in two locations on race morning at 5:00 am & 5:30 am: PICK UP LOCATION #1: 4th Street between Jones Avenue and Butler Avenue PICK UP LOCATION #2: Butler Avenue between 15th Street and 14th Street Please be sure to select the correct pick up location at checkout. Shuttle passes will not be mailed. ALL shuttle passes must be picked up at the Health & Fitness Expo on 11/6 and 11/7. Tybee Island is a pay to park community, so please plan to walk to the shuttle pick up locations. Roundtrip Shuttle Tickets: $25 each
Airport Hotel Shuttles There are two pick up locations that will take participants from the Airport hotels to the Start Line:
- North Side of Airways Drive: Servicing the following hotels: Cambria Suites, Country Inn & Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, Spring Hill Marriott and Towne Place Marriott.
- South Side of Airways Drive: Servicing the following hotels: Hawthorn Suites, Comfort Inn & Suites, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites, Hampton Inn & Suites, Hilton Garden Inn.
This is a ROUND TRIP ticket for participants and spectators. Shuttle will pick up at each location at 5:00 am and 5:30 am. All shuttle tickets must be purchased prior to race morning either online (until 11/2) or at the expo (if still available). Shuttle tickets will NOT be mailed and must be picked at the Shuttle Tickets booth at the Health & Fitness Expo.
**Race changes are only allowed up to 8 weeks prior to race day. Please visit our Event Timelines page for event specific deadlines
Switching from a LONGER distance to a SHORTER distance
- Before the event deadline: If you would like to switch from a longer distance to a shorter distance, simply email this request along with your first name, last name, the mailing address that you registered with, and your new predicted finish time to Customer Service.
- After the event deadline:
- If you decide to switch from a longer distance to a shorter distance that will take place on the same day as your current registration, simply show up to the half Marathon start line on race morning and your timing tag will reflect the change. You can visit the corral change table in the Check-In area of the Expo for information on the appropriate corral to start in.
- If you decide to switch from a longer distance to a shorter distance that will take place on a different day of the Running Festival, please pick up your assigned race number and proceed to the “Solutions” table. We will trade your race number for the desired day and distance.
Switching from a SHORTER distance to a LONGER distance
- Before the event deadline: To upgrade from a shorter distance to a longer distance simply email this request along with your first name, last name and mailing address registered with, and your new predicted finish time to Customer Service. The early upgrade fee is $10 plus the cost difference between the desired distance’s current fee and the fee that was paid at the time of the original registration. (processing fee is not used in calculating price difference)
- After the event deadline: If you would like to switch from a shorter distance to a longer distance, you will need to pay an upgrade fee at the Expo. Please pick up your assigned race number and proceed to the “Solutions” table. You will be charged $10 plus the cost difference between the desired distance’s expo fee and the fee that was paid at the time of the original registration. (processing fee is not used in calculating price difference)
We do not offer registration transfers from individual distances to the Relay or from the Relay to the individual distances.
Registering is easy! You may register for any Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon in two ways.
- Register Online
- Request an entry form by mail. Please contact us and we will be happy to mail a form to you. All registrations submitted by paper entry form will be charged a $15 Green Fee for processing. We do not accept phone entries.
Please enter only once. If you fax or register online, do not mail a hard copy. Do not send multiple faxes or online entries.
The start line corral system allows for a smooth race start for participants of varying levels. Based on the estimated finish time that you provide on your race entry form, you are assigned a race number and corresponding corral, with other participants of similar running pace.
- Before the event deadline: If you would like to change your corral/predicted finish time for your race, simply email this request along with your first name, last name, the mailing address that you registered with, and your new predicted finish time to Customer Service.
- After the event deadline: If your training has gone better than expected, and you would like to move up to a faster corral, pick up your race number at the Health & Fitness Expo and then proceed to the “Corral Change” table to be re-assigned to the appropriate corral. To move back to a slower corral, simply start in that corral on race morning. No official corral change is necessary.
- Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. No exceptions.
- Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate, you may not give or sell your race number to anyone else, and you may not transfer your entry fee to future races.
- If you attempt to sell your race number, you may be banned from future Competitor Group events for three years.
- You must be at least 18 years old to participate in the Marathon and 12 years old to participate in the Half Marathon or 2-Person Half Marathon Relay. You must be 10 years old to participate in the 10K. You must be 8 years old to participate in the Mini Marathon or 5K.
- You must be in good health and physically prepared to take on the challenge of a Marathon or Half Marathon.
- You must show photo ID to receive your race number and timing chip.
- You must pick up your own race packet and race number at the Health & Fitness Expo.
- Race numbers are required to participate.
- No coaches, handcycles, bikes, in-line skates, skateboards, baby joggers or dogs will be allowed on the course. For more information about handcycles, click here.
- Overall winners will not qualify for their age group category awards.
Registration Refund Program provided by Transamerica
We've got your back if you can't make it with our Registration Refund Progam. For only $10.00 you can request a 100% refund of your registration fee, including processing fee, if you (or your relay team you're a part of) are unable to participate due to covered reasons such as injury, illness, pregnancy and unexpected travel delays. Learn more about what's covered click here. **Purchase of registration refund MUST be done at the time of your original registration, no exceptions
If a registration refund is not purchased at the time of registration, entry fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and entries are NON-TRANSFERABLE. Sorry, no exceptions. Once we receive and accept your entry, you will not receive a refund if you cannot participate. You may not give or sell your number to anyone else. You also may not transfer your application to the following year or another Competitor Group event.
To ensure that roads reopen to vehicular traffic at the scheduled times, the course time limits will be STRICTLY ENFORCED. Participants must maintain a pace faster than the course time limits in order to complete the race on closed city streets. A cut-off location will be enforced on the course; runners or walkers who do not reach the cut-off location by this time will be stopped and shuttled to the finish line area. Please note – this is timing tag time, not gun time. Course time limits begin when the last participant and Tail Vehicle cross the start line.
If a participant’s pace falls below the course time limit, they have a few options:
- Increase their pace to stay within the event minimum pace;
- Board a “sag wagon” shuttle to move forward on the course, where they may continue to participate in the event, maintaining the minimum pace required; or
- If the participant cannot continue, they may board a sag wagon to be dropped off at the next shuttle location, at a nearby medical station. The participant will be seen by a Medical Team captain to be cleared for the medical shuttle to transport the participant to the finish line.
Information Booths will be positioned at the start and finish to assist you with any race day questions and help you find your way. The Information Booths will also serve as the race day Lost & Found. Any valuables found at the start or finish should be turned in to the Information Booth. Items from the start will be transported to the finish.
Any valuable items NOT claimed at the finish by 3 pm will be trucked back to our San Diego office. To claim a lost item after the event, please contact Competitor Group at 800-311-1255.
The Medical Team is a dedicated group of multidisciplinary medical professionals, available to help assess your race day medical needs and administer acute first aid when necessary.
Numerous medical stations will be located at the Finish as well as at the start and along the course. Look for large RED and WHITE tents and for our medical volunteers dressed in RED shirts for complimentary help before, during and after the race.
Age group awards will be presented 3-deep in all divisions, for both the marathon (where applicable) and half marathon, for male and female categories. Top 3 overall male and females are excluded from the age-group awards and can only receive one prize. Awards will be mailed within 4 to 6 weeks of results being finalized. In accordance with USATF Rules, overall and cash awards will be determined by gun time while age group awards will be determined by your ChronoTrack time.
State of the art ChronoTrack systems will be used to record participants’ times at the start, at certain splits along the courses and at the finish. The ChronoTrack system uses a disposable tag, called a D Tag, which allows you to walk away from the finish without the need to have your tag collected.
The ChronoTrack timing tag (D Tag) will be attached to your race bib. The D Tag will be labeled with a number that matches your race number. When you pick up your bib, please make sure these numbers match, and also verify that YOUR name is printed on the bib you are issued*. Proceed to the Solutions Table if any of the information is incorrect.
Prior to the race, you must remove the tag from your number and attach it to your shoe. Please follow the instructions provided in your registration packet.
PLEASE NOTE: All participants in this race must wear the ChronoTrack timing tag on your shoe in order to have their times recorded. ChampionChip timing equipment will NOT be used at this race; ChampionChip timing chips will NOT record your time.
*If you register for the race before online registration closes, your ChronoTrack timing tag should have your name printed on it.
Visit chronotrack.com for more information.
Printable ChronoTrack systems instructions
- Scenic course highlighting host cities famous sites
- Live, local bands along the course
- Spirited cheer squads lining the course
- Brooks Technical Participant Shirt
- Official Finisher Certificates
- Finishers Medal
- Gear Bag
- Plentiful Course Support
- Free Admission to the Finish Line Festival and Post Race Concert (where applicable)
- Free Admission to the 2 day Health & Fitness Expo
In an effort to provide every one of our participants with as comfortable a run as possible, the Wave Start will be incorporated in most Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series events.
Participants are assigned to an appropriate corral based on the projected finishing time submitted on their entry form. Typically, there are multiple waves assigned to several of the finishing times. All spectators should be aware of this when organizing their viewing schedule for the day.
- When the gun fires, the first corral will be released. The rest of the participants will be held at the start line.
- At pre-determined intervals the next corral will be released.
- By using this staggered starting method, the pack will be spread out and allow every runner to settle into their racing rhythm from the first step right to the finish line.
Before you enter your assigned corral, drop-off your pre-race/post-race clothing and belongings at the Gear Check. While you run, your gear will be held at Gear Check.
Each participant will receive a large, durable gear bag at the Health & Fitness Expo when you pick up your packet that will serve as your gear bag on race day. Gear Check trucks will be arranged alphabetically and by truck number near the Start Line. Attach your gear tag to your gear bag before you leave it with the Gear Check crew. After the race, reclaim your checked bag at the designated Gear Check area.
Please note: DO NOT leave valuables, cash or jewelry in your gear bag. The event is not responsible for any lost items. Gear bags must be claimed before close of the Finish Line Festival on race day.
Once you cross the finish line, you’ll enter the Secure Zone, a fenced off area designated for participants only. In the Secure Zone, have your photo taken, refuel with water and refreshments and receive your finisher’s medal. Once you leave the Secure Zone, you cannot re-enter. Just outside of the Secure Zone, you can retrieve your gear bag and join family and friends for the Finish Line Festival.
After the race, reunite with family and friends in the Family Reunion area and relish in your post race accomplishment with refreshments and live music at the finish line stage. With a large number of participants and thousands of excited spectators, it can be difficult to locate friends and family without a plan. It is highly recommended that you designate a meet-up location for friends and family BEFORE the race in the Family Reunion area. The Family Reunion area will post tall, clearly-marked signs by Letter (A – Z), so be sure to coordinate and plan to meet at a pre-determined letter.